The reality of leadership is, often, some are fit, and ready to lead, and others, may not be! After, over four decades of involvement, in, nearly, all areas, related to effectively, leading, from identifying and qualifying, to training, developing, and consulting to thousands of actual, and/ or, potential leaders, to, personally, serving as a leader, on several occasions, I strongly believe, although many aspects of getting things done, need professionally – designed, training, essential factors, such as one’s quality of character, personal motivation, willingness to expand one’s personally – restrictive, comfort zone, etc, often, are the determining causes, of whether, someone, will, truly, SHINE, in that position. With, that in mind, this article will attempt to, briefly, consider, examine, review, and discuss, using the mnemonic approach, what this means, represents, and demands, and why it matters.
- Service; self-confidence; sustainable; solution; stronger/ strengthen/ strengths: The best candidates, consistently, proceed with, and maintain, significant levels, of actual, self – confidence, combined with a commitment, to represents stakeholders, with the highest degree of service! His goals are to use his personal strengths, effectively, to strengthen others, in order to make his group, stronger, and more relevant! One must be prepared, and willing, to pursue, and implement, the most essential, sustainable solutions, consistently, and in the most meaningful, compelling, motivating manner!
- Head/ heart; hearing; humane; honor/ honesty: How one balances his emotional, and logical components, determines, his ability to pursue options, using an important, head/ heart balance! He uses his hearing, in order to effectively listen, and learn! Great leaders must be considered, and perceived as, being, truly humane, and caring, and must, consistently, proceed, with the ultimate degree of personal honor, and honesty!
- Integrity; ideas; imagination; insights; inspiring: Absolute integrity, especially, when it requires commitment and is challenging, must be a guiding measure, in the proceeding, with a well – developed, imagination, which might assist him, in perceiving and conceiving of, creating, and implement meaningful ideas, which lead – to, significant, relevant, sustainable, strategic and action plans! We need leaders, whose, insights, are inspiring to others, and drives them, to greater commitment!
- Needs; nerve; nuances: Identifying priorities, perceptions, and needs, and aligning them, with the particular, nuances, of the specific organization, requires significant nerve, and a willingness, to think – outside – the – box!
- Empathy; emphasis; energy/ energize; excellence; endurance: It, often, takes consistency, and endurance, for a potential leader, to prove, he is a real one! The commitment to excellence, rather than settling for good – enough, genuine empathy (and, placing one’s emphasis, based, on this process), are necessary, to proceed, with the level of personal energy, which energizes his organization, and his constituents!